Friday, October 06, 2006

After a hectic week, I finally get a day to do me stuff! I'm knitting away on my first sock and I'm done with the ribbing. I've only added a few rows of plain knit, so no new photos yet. We'll see how far I get today and if it's enough to show progress then I'll post a photo in the next entry.

For this, my very first sock, I'm using 2 circulars (size 2 US) and Zephyr DK weight yarn. I know that it's not optimum, but the DVD on knitting socks that I bought recommended a DK or sport weight yarn for the first pair. After knitting with lace weight yarn for so long, this stuff seems huge! I also seem to knit pretty tightly when knitting in the round... hope that I can learn to loosen up a bit.

In the spirit of Socktoberfest, I'm answering Lolly's questions here on my blog. Here we go!

When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class? I started on 10/1/06! I'm teaching myself using a DVD, books, and internet resources.

What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time? This is my first pair and I have no clue how they'll hold up! Probably not too well due to the silk content in the yarn, but since they're the first ones they'll be special.

What would you have done differently? I think I'd have started with a fingering yarn and smaller needles.

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed? Even though these are my first socks, I can tell you what yarns I enjoy! I have a bit of a stash already :) I like Socks that Rock, Henry's Attic Kona Fingering, and Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock.

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method? I'm learning with 2 circs. I've not tried to knit on DPN's (they seem itimidating!) and I didn't have any circs that were long enough to try the Magic Loop.

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?) I haven't gotten that far yet!

How many pairs have you made? This is the first!

Ok, it's back to knitting. It's chilly and rainy here today, so I have a little fire going in the fireplace, my grandson is watching TV and we're just relaxing!

1 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, Blogger Vanessa said...

Thanks! They will definitely be toasty, I can tell that already. They'll be good to wear on weekend evenings when we're watching TV and my feet get cold :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home