Friday, January 05, 2007


Still working on Bejeweled. I swear I am the slowest knitter in the universe! I'm just beginning my second skein, which means I've knitted 200 yards so far. If the pattern is right, then I only have 70 yards more to go... we'll see how I like the length at that point. I still hope to have enough yarn to make matching mitts out of. I can't order more because it's a "non repeatable" color from Sundara.

Now, on to the real meat of this post. I have never knitted a sock. Not one... I've started a few and frogged them due to errors. Socks are something I want to learn to knit. I have books, needles, pamphlets, internet sites and yahoo groups all willing to teach me sock knitting. Once Bejeweled is complete, learning socks is next on my list.

Why is this part of this post? Well, this morning I thought I'd inventory my yarn stash. Scary thought, I know! I didn't get through much, just the sock yarn. But what an eye opener! As I said above, I've never completed a sock, yet I own over 8000 yards of sock yarn! Yes, you read that right. Eight thousand yards. WTF is up with that? Now, in my defense, almost 1/2 of that 8K is Henrys Attic Kona superwash that I bought to dye. Still, I own it and it's sock yarn, right?

I have sock yarn from Opal, Regia, Sundara yarns, Shelridge Farm, Dicentra Designs, Scouts Swag, Koigu and Fly (small local hand dyer). What makes this really funny is that I've been mentally fuming because I simply can't afford to sign up for the Socks that Rock 2007 sock club. I could cough up the money, but right now things are a bit tight and 210 dollars is a chunk of money we can use for something else. Plus, I can always buy STR yarn, right? And not have to come up with all that cash right now, right? And... I already have enough yarn to knit about 20 pairs of socks anyway, right?????????? (can you tell I still want to sign up for the club?)

Anyway, I'm not going to sign up for the club and I am going to learn to knit socks. Maybe once I've halved my sock yarn stash I can go on a spending spree and stock up on STR. Or maybe by then there will be a different "gotta have it" sock yarn out there I can stock up on! :)

Have a great day! ***the photo is of the sock yarn basket, sans the undyed Henry's Attic***

1 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Blogger elizabeth said...

You go! I have a ton of sock yarn in my stash too, but I have knit one complete pair and a bunch of other WIPs. What type of needles are you going to learn on?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home